[Vtr-tac] Proposed Changes in Administrative Rules Regarding Specialty License Plates
Electronic Distribution of VTR Information to Texas Counties
vtr-tac at extlists.dmv.state.tx.us
Tue May 4 15:13:05 CDT 2010
Please review and distribute as appropriate.
On April 8, 2010, the Board of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
proposed changes to administrative rules regarding Specialty License
Plates. Listed below are the changes in the proposed rules:
Changes to the approval process for proposed specialty license plates:
• Eliminates the Specialty License Plate Advisory Committee and gives
the department’s Executive Director the authority to approve new
• Removes the requirement that the department consider the number of
potential purchasers as a factor in the new specialty license plate
• Allows the department to consider whether a proposed specialty
license plate design is too similar to an existing design.
• Clarifies that an alphanumeric license plate combination that implies
a threat of harm, or a license plate that has been, or could be, the
subject of litigation, will not be approved. The rule includes examples
of what may be considered indecent.
• Clarifies that the fee for a personalized plate is $40, unless
Changes to the vendor specialty plates program:
• Moves the $55 personalized license plate on standard white sheeting
to the luxury plate category, which results in a new fee of $195.
• Increases the fee for a one year “T-Plate” from $95 to $155.
• Allows the private vendor to auction alphanumeric license plate
combinations. These may be issued for 10 or 25 year terms.
These proposed rules were published in the April 23, 2010 issue of the
Texas Register, and are currently open for public comment. The rules
may be viewed online at http://www.sos.state.tx.us/texreg/index.shtml.
Comments must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on May 24, 2010, and may be
submitted in writing to:
Rebecca Davio, Director
Vehicle Titles and Registration Division
Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
4000 Jackson Avenue, Building 1
Austin, Texas 78731.
The rules are tentatively scheduled for final adoption in June, 2010.
If you have any comments or suggestions concerning this VTR
communication process, please contact your local VTR Regional Office.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the VTR-TAC