[Vtr-tac] Interpreting VIN Changes

Electronic Distribution of VTR Information to Texas Counties vtr-tac at extlists.dmv.state.tx.us
Mon Jun 28 16:29:30 CDT 2010

Please review the following information and distribute as appropriate.

>From time to time vehicle manufacturers update or recycle portions of
their vehicle identification numbers (VINs).  Updates to the
Registration and Title System’s (RTS) VIN decoding programming are
required in order to recognize these changes. As notification of such
changes are often piecemeal, or do not occur in a timely fashion, it may
take some time for the system reprogramming to accommodate for the
change.

Recently, it was brought to our attention that Subaru has recycled the
letter "B" in the VIN of their 2011 vehicles, now using it as the tenth
digit of the VIN.  The same letter designated the year model code for
their 1981 vehicles.  The result is that RTS is incorrectly interpreting
the VIN for the 2011 Subaru as being a 1981.

Please manually correct the year for these vehicles in RTS as 2011.

We will notify you when a system update is available to allow for this
change in VIN.

If you require assistance, you may contact the RTS Help Desk at
1-877-933-2020 at any time.

Thanks,

Mike

If you have any comments or suggestions concerning this VTR
communication process, please contact your local VTR Regional Office.

If you would like to see previous postings from the "VTR Electronic
Archives," please visit
http://extlists.dot.state.tx.us/pipermail/vtr-tac/ .

Mike Craig
Interim Director
Vehicle Titles and Registration Division, TxDMV
Email: mcraig1 at dmv.state.tx.us

Helping Texans Go.  Helping Texas Grow.