[Vtr-tac] For Hire Motor Carriers Registration

Electronic Distribution of VTR Information to Texas Counties vtr-tac at dot.state.tx.us
Wed Sep 2 13:01:13 CDT 2009

Effective September 1, 2009, the owner or lessee of a foreign commercial carrier who makes application for title (supported by foreign evidence of ownership) and registration or applies for a 72/144 hour permit must submit a copy of the applicable federal declaration form required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) or its successor.

After meeting with the FMCSA and the Texas Department of Public Safety, we determined that the FMCSA does not have a federal declaration form required by this legislation.  As a result, there will be no change to current policy when issuing a 72/144 hour permit.

The department*s current policy of requiring a USDOT Form HS-7, (Declaration) Importation of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle Equipment Subject to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper and Theft Prevention Standards, at the time of application for title and registration or for Registration Purposes Only for vehicles brought in from another state or country (Transportation Code, Section 501.030) satisfies HB 2985 requirement.

This legislation also requires all intrastate motor carriers to have a USDOT number. In addition to this USDOT number requirement all motor carriers that are required to have Texas motor carrier registration will continue to be issued a TxDOT certificate number.  For more information, please contact the Motor Carrier Division at 1-800-299-1700.

We will notify you as we receive more information regarding the FMCSA form requirement.

If you have any other questions or need any additional information please contact your local Vehicle Titles and Registration Division Regional Office.

Thank you,

Rebecca

If you have any comments or suggestions concerning this VTR communication process, please contact your local VTR Regional Office.

If you would like to see previous postings from the "VTR Electronic Archives," please visit http://extlists.dot.state.tx.us/pipermail/vtr-tac/ .